Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My 8 year old cat vomited up food and now he is moaning and

Customer Question

My 8 year old cat vomited up food and now he is moaning and meowing and hissing at the other cats and dogs. He won't come to me and is hiding under furniture
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm sorry to hear that Grayson has been acting oddly tonight. I'll do my best to help. A sudden onset of vomiting in any kitty is frequently either due to an infectious disease (think stomach flu) or dietary intolerance (like I ate something that didn't agree with me). Unfortunately, vomiting is sufficiently vague too, meaning that it could indicate a very wide variety of other illnesses too. One that I do see that can make them vomit and also act really strangely would be a urinary obstruction. Neutered male cats are very prone to blockages of the urinary tract and it can make them have severe abdominal pain that can make them act out and also vomit. Keep a very close eye on him for his urination habits. If you see him (or you have seen him) going in and out of the box, crying in the box, excessively grooming his penis, straining to urinate, or producing any bloody urine, this is an emergency. It could be that he is being grumpy with you and the other cats simply because he doesn't feel well. If he seems really distressed, the best thing to do is to get him examined by a vet ASAP. It is certainly possible that this is a passing GI upset, but I can't tell for sure without seeing him myself. Your other option is to just keep him quiet and keep a close eye on him for changes. You'll have to use your judgement here since I can't tell everything about the situation over the computer. Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)