Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

My cat acts like she wants to vomit but nothing or she is

Customer Question

my cat acts like she wants to vomit but nothing or she is coughing, also her stomach looks like it is cramping up you can see it when it does it.she eats drinks but lately she just eats the gravey from the food that's it since yesterday. she has been like this for a month and a half, it seems like its happening more often last sunday she came out to the living room and just layed on the floor no food no water and her belly was just tightening up or like contractions it lasted most of the day
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she has seen a vet, she has had her shots and is neutered
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please call me im at work right now my cell phone number is ***** follows(###) ###-#### ***** has not seen any vet for her condition yet, I have an apt for tomorrow at 10 am, I was hoping this call would help and maybe I wouldn't have to go down that road I don't have much money I'm a senior low income housing so HELP
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
LEAVING FOR HOME BYE. SINCERELY ***** *****
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning Esther and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that it has taken so long to answer your question. Also, due to my location, I am unable to make phone calls but I would like to try to help.

This behavior is very common with hair balls.

It appears to me that sweet Percilla has a hair ball or something else causing a partial obstruction. This mass is too far down her digestive tract to come out her mouth but it is still causing nausea, couging and dry heaves. The best thing to do is purchase a product called Laxatone or Petromalt at the local pet store. Give 1/4 inch of this paste every 4 hrs for the first day and then this same dose twice per day for 2 days. If she is feeling better, then we have moved this partial obstruction through the digestive tract and she will be fine. Keep her on a maintenance dose of Laxatone twice per week to prevent this from occurring again. If she is still vomiting or having dry heaves, you will have to have your vet examine your cat to be sure we have not missed something. This mass could also cause an obstruction that may require surgery to remove.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****