Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My niece has two exclusively indoor neutered cats. Her

Customer Question

My niece has two exclusively indoor neutered cats. Her neighbor has a non-neutered tom cat that comes over and constantly pees all around her doorstep. Is there a solution to this problem? Thank you in advance.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 11 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. I'm sorry to hear about this situation with the neighbor cat. If that intact neighbor cat is doing this, most likely he is marking a territory for himself. The best solution would be if the neighbor kept that cat inside, but this is something that is most likely not an option. The next best option is to use one of the ultrasonic deterrents in the area where he's urinating. These can be placed in the areas of the problem. They detect any motion and create a sound that is supposed to be not liked by cats and to hopefully encourage them to not be present in that area. Here is just one example.

http://www.amazon.com/Contech-300000045-CatStop-Ultrasonic-Deterrent/dp/B0001A9TE2

With it being outside and your cats being inside, they shouldn't be bothered by it. The insulation of the house should protect them from being spooked by it. Also aiming it out / away from the house will help with this.