Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat has been on prednisolone on and of of years due to a

Customer Question

Hi, my cat has been on prednisolone on and of for couple of years due to a combination of food allergic and eosinophilic disease. She is on limited ingredient dry food (green peas and venison ) for awhile. We haven't been able to find the allergen, so, even with this food she is scratching herself and choking on her balls and licking herself raw. After her most recent prednisone prescription ran out and she went back to scratching, I decided to give zyrtec a try. The OTC, made for human, dissolvable kind. Divided the 10 mg tab in half. The effect of it lasted for 15hrs. Can I give her the entire 10mg tab? she is 8.5 pounds. Do you recommend any generic type of zyrtec? thanks, leyla
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

You can certainly use the generic which is Cetirizine. That said, the top dose for cats is 5 milligrams every 12-24 hours. So, we'd not want to go above that but could try her on every 12 hour dosing to see if we can manage her allergic skin issues.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.