Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Cat got bite in front top of head, I have kept clean and

Customer Question

cat got bite in front top of head, I have kept clean and drained but it made an exit one-inch blow original hole. it is freely draining. I have on hand Tylan 50 injectable, can I use this for a cat and how much and where do I give the shot tylosin injection 50 mg per ml
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your cat. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Tylan (tylosin) would not be a good antibiotic for a bite wound abscess in a cat. We use it for chronic diarrhea, but the bacteria it is effective against are not the bacteria that cause these bite wound abscesses. I normally use amoxicillin or Clavamox for cats with draining infections, or an injection of Convenia.

I would apply warm compresses to the wound to keep it draining, and to draw the infection. Flushing the exit hole with saline solution can be helpful.

Let me know what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my answer. Let me know what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

How is your cat doing?