Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My feline cat swallowed one of my constella pills. will it

Customer Question

my feline cat swallowed one of my constella pills. will it hurt her
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did she have this?

What is her weight?

What milligrams was the tablet?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
she swallowed it around 0700 am this morning. She weighs approx. 10 lbs and it was 290mcg
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you,

Since your time zone isn't listed, can you tell me how many hours it has been?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
l hour
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you again,

Now in that case, we will want to take some steps here to avoid her absorbing that drug. The reason is because this is not a pet safe medication and there are no safety studies in cats. Therefore, we cannot predict whether this will cause just stomach upset and lethargy as it does in some people or something more worrisome since cats have a different means to metabolism from us.

Therefore, since it has been an hour, we would be best to induce vomiting now. To do so, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight. You can give it via dropper, syringe,turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Overall, this is not a medication that is used or has been tested in cats. Therefore, we cannot be sure it is safe for her. Therefore, the best option here would be to err on the side of caution and use the above now. If you struggle with these at all or do not have access to these products, then we'd want to have her seen urgently by your local vet so that they can take the above steps and keep her from harm.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )