Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Cat urine smells of ammonia - and a big stream of pea in her

Customer Question

cat urine smells of ammonia - and a big stream of pea in her box
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long has Miso been showing these signs?Has she been drinking more lately?Did the pee look dilute/watery?Any access to toxins (ie antifreeze, lilies, human pain relief medications, etc)?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

hmmm

did not know lilies were toxic - but yes we had some in the house over thanksgiving

and they did drop off

my husband drops pills but she would not eat something like that

she is drinking a bit more - but it is calmmg down

she has been spayed but she was acting a bit like in heat until today

yes it was a big pool of pea in the box

in fact I just had to dump the whole box - it was beyond clump ability

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you,Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about Miso.The signs you have reported raise worries of severe kidney disease or failure. This usually is a chronic progressive condition for older cats but toxin exposure (if she did get a fallen lily in the past 12-24 hours, since it is a potent kidney toxin and tends to cause fairly quick signs) can lead to sudden signs. In any case, it will prevent cats from concentrating their urine as they should which means we will see copious amounts of dilute/watery urine. As well, this could also cause that breath odor as the urea and ammonia levels in the blood climb due to poor kidney filtration.In this situation and iwth a possible toxicity at hand, we'd be best to have her seen urgently. Ideally, we'd want her vet to check bloods or urine to assess her kidney function. Depending on their findings there, we will likely need her to go onto IV fluids to flush these toxins out. Now these situations are very guarded and if she has severe damage to the kidneys, she may not recover function of them. Still, if she does respond to treatment, then she may need medication to support her kidneys for life. But hopefully we will just find mild changes we can help her get through. Overall, Miso's signs are very worrying and raise concerns of kidney damage. Therefore, we'd want her seen as soon as possible to check the extent of damage and head off any further issue for her. If we act fast, we can hopefully get her through this. In this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet. To find your local ER veterinary clinic, you can check http://www.vetlocator.com/www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193 Please take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )