Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

22 week kitten. Had month with no health issues acting norm.

Customer Question

Customer: 22 week kitten. Had for roughly month with no health issues acting norm. Playing. Eating and drinking. Left for 2 days and came back to him walking and acting as if drunk. He couldnt even jump up to his norm ottoman. He simply plopped over and would stay on floor. It was very late so I put him on his kitty bed in laundry room and left door closed to keep kids away and deal with it further in am. Next day he seemed barely better but seemed less drunk and more lethargic. I called vet asked advice was sent to get a kitty milk bottle and high calorie gel meal paste to try for 2 days bc they said hypoglycemia if not better come in. 2 days pass we go to vet. He is now walking not falling over as much able to jump onto low furniture and off without eating sh $*. And he is following us but now is not eating anything but what we force feed.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Vet checked him for physical temperature ears and gums and heart and lungs. All normal and healhty. Blood tests doje were leukemia diabetes and fiv and cbc and something else. Cant recall. Palpated organs and nothing inflamed or bad. Labs came back healthy also. White blood only thing elevated and not by much. Was put on clind friday as long with a steriod shot and topical 3 way wormer starting with a P brand. She sent me home to get wet food to see if he would eat that. We bought every kitten kind inevery brand. He did eat that friday night and has about 1/4 can each serving 2x daily so far I get him on his own. He isnt drinking anything on his own. He walks 2 it looks at it and walks away. He seems to be having issues with back legs. If I lay him upside down he will extend legs and they shake and twitch even the front one. He otherwise wants to be balled up and immobile. He sleeps alot. And doesnt do much. When he is up to find us he whines the whole time walking. And its a weird howly whine. I am forcing milk mixed with water to maintain hydration. I weighed him today he is 3.2 pounds. Friday was 3.3 pounds. He is a F5 savannah male 22 week kitten.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh and today noticed a small nickle size spot of fur missing on back inside leg now. He also seems to really be having trouble using litter box. Squating to go after a tiny bit looks as if gonna fall over or he gets stuck in the box. Legs get caught under and then struggles. Overall everything seems odd with him.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your kitten. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I see he was tested for leukemia and FIV; were those tests negative? Do you happen to have copies of the blood tests?

Did he have a fever when your veterinarian examined him?

I agree, it sounds like something is very odd. It is not normal for a kitten this age to not eat and not be able to run and jump. It sounds like something is affecting his nervous system, his spinal cord or possibly his brain.

If he is negative for leukemia and FIV, and has an elevated white cell count (any chance you can get the actual number, or a copy of the blood tests?), the next things I would check for in a young cat are FIP and toxoplasmosis, especially if he has a fever.

Let me know if you have copies of the blood tests, and what other questions you have.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He did not have a fever. Everything came back negative on blood work. He had a full blood work panel done including diabetes fiv and leukemia. I did not get the actual numbers on the tests as vet called me via phone the next day to tell me everything came back good. She said his white blood was elevated but by how she said it that didnt seem crazy high to he concerned. She prescribed 20ml bottle of clindamycin oral to do twice daily until bottle empty. ( gather is 10 day)
no nasal discharge. No abnormal swelling or organs by palpation. No sounds of anything or unhealthy results by physical exam or blood. Both vets were puzzled bc they knew he was walking funny and twitching like cold. We were ruling out several things with blood like diabetes. The thought was bacterial causing some kind of neurological issue with legs and coordination. So thats why antibiotics were given. He is to return in 7 days to repeat white blood test to see if improved. I have seen his appetite get better in last 2 days. I have not in person seen him drink anything. And the bowl is fresh multiple times daily so cant tell by amount in bowl. No toxins were present either bc that was one of her 1st thoughts based on how he looked in behavior with tremors. I keep everything locked as I have toddlers so anything the cat could eat my kids could also. And thats not a chance I leave open. He as of last night looked and behaved the best since he started sick. He went up the stairs this morning something thats been almost impossible since and he stumbles down them. But today did not. He played a tiny bit and had interest in toys. Also a 1st in over a week. Perhaps antibiotics are finally working after 5 days. His weight is still low at 3.2 pounds for 22 weeks old. Id like to see him less bony and more filled in. His muscles and tone are sunken in. Perhaps the lack of weight combined with sick lost any little muscle he had to support back end??? Is that possible? ? I know humans when sick become weak and woozy. And I know human at least muscles can disappear very quick when not being used. And the cat does just stay in 1 place most the day. It finds where it want to be and basically lays there in a ball all day unless disturbed.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Good that he did not have a fever. Anytime I see a young cat that is having neurologic problems I worry about FIP. Usually (not always) have a fever however.

If he is getting better, that is a good sign. Diabetes in a cat this young would be very unusual.

Muscles can atrophy with time, if he is not eating enough, but being weak and woozy wold not be expected. I might ask the vet that examined him about FIP.

Let me know how he is doing and what else I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Is there anything else I can answer, or help with? How is he doing tonight?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?