Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My daughters cat has quit eating or drinking. The vet can

Customer Question

Customer: my daughters cat has quit eating or drinking. The vet can not find any thing wrong with him. He is only 6 yrs old. They are now trying to force feed him because his liver is showing signs of shutting down. She just feed him a little while age and he is now panting and crying and she does not know what to do
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He went to the vet and they gave him a xray and did blood work. Nothing showed up on either. So they gave him and IV with nuitrients 2 days ago. He is not getting better so they took him back in today and gave him another IV and force fed him . They showed them how to make him eat and sent them home with instructions on how often to feed him. That was 3 hrs ago. Then he started panting and crying shortly after they fed him. He had not cried or panted before this
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: not sure there is time
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your daughter's cat is so sick! Not eating is obviously a sign that he is very ill and I would consider investigating further into the cause. You can consider an abdominal ultrasound, urinalysis, and a GI panel (to look for inflammatory bowel disease). If the vet you are currently seeing can't figure out the cause of his lack of appetite, she may also consider taking your kitty to a different vet for a second opinion.

When cats stop eating they often quickly develop a condition called Fatty Liver or hepatic lipidosis. This is likely what is happening to your kitty and they can fully recover from it with good supportive care. Care includes force feeding to support the liver but there are different ways to go about it than with a syringe. Many cats require a feeding tube placed but this is actually very comfortable for the kitty and much less stressful.

Here is a link to a more in depth discussion on fatty liver:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1455

For your kitty tonight-

I would stop force feeding him. He obviously is tortured by this procedure and you are only making him more miserable. Also, if he is panting now or having labored breathing, he may have inhaled some of the food into his lungs.

In the morning, he needs to go back to your vet or to a different one to consider some of the above diagnostics and to have a feeding tube placed. This will make feeding him so much easier. They also can eat normally with the tube in place, so as soon as he is feeling better he can eat on his own.

Does this help? Do you have any other questions?

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Amanda Mouradian-Dar
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is your daughter's cat this evening? Is he eating better? Did he end up needed a feeding tube? Do you have any more questions for me?

Dr. A