Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

I just adopted a 2 month old little kitten from the shelter.

Customer Question

I just adopted a 2 month old little kitten from the shelter. I noticed the night I brought her home that the bottom of her blue eye has a brown spot on it. Right on the pupil. Its not typical two- toned eyes. It dosent water, its not infected, she dosent rub it. Its just like a big brown pigmented spot. I made an appointment for her Thursday. But now im a nervous wreck. Of course when I google this all you see is eye cancer, eye cancer!!! The people at the shelter were very loving. She was spayed and microchipped there. Im sure they saw this spot on her eye. Do you have any explanation that could ease my mind until Thursday??
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear of your concern with your kitten! Is there any way you can take a photo of her eye? Is she having any discharge from the eye or squinting/rubbing at all?

Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

The most likely thing that is going on is that your kitten has what is called iris melanosis or hyperpigmentation. It would be very unusual for a kitten to have melanoma, which is the cancer you are worrying about. Most of these cases are just a pigmentary change and nothing to worry about, but having a vet examine the area to be sure is a good idea. But don't stress yourself out about it, as it is likely nothing to be concerned about! Here is a small article describing the condition: http://vetbook.org/wiki/cat/index.php/Iris_melanosis