Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

I put cat flea med by advantage. What should I do dog? Was a

Customer Question

I put cat flea med by advantage. What should I do for my dog? Was a week ago, now she's all itchy.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 12 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats.

I want to make sure I understand correctly - Did you mean that you applied a dose of Advantage meant for cats on to your dog Lucy? If that's the case, then I do have some suggestions for you.

I'm sorry to hear that Lucy has been so itchy. The good news is that it's unlikely that applying a cat dose of Advantage to a dog is going to cause any harm. The only exception to this would be if Lucy is allergic to the product, in which case she'd react poorly to either the dog or cat version. If we have no fleas, then generally I just recommend applying the appropriate product one month after the last "wrong" dose. The trouble starts when you think your pet may still have fleas, which is definitely possible if she wasn't given the appropriate dose of medication this last time. With my patients, I usually suggest using a different route of treatment, like an oral flea preventive like Comfortis or Nexgard if the pet has had something applied topically that we know isn't going to be effective. This can provide flea prevention without intermixing with the topical product that's already present.

In my experience, itchy dogs certainly don't always have fleas. Allergies to things in the environment like pollens, dusts, etc, or allergies to foods can cause significant itching. If you're not 100% sure that this is fleas, I'd suggest having Lucy looked over by the vet to make sure that this is really a flea problem and not an allergy problem. I see plenty of pets who itched for a month or two longer than needed because the owners mistakenly thought that they were treating for fleas when in fact the pet was having an allergy flare up.

I hope that this helps - please let me know if I can answer any other questions for you

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)