petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My cat that is 5 years old is incontinent days. He is real

Customer Question

My cat that is 5 years old is incontinent for several days. He is real hard underneath. Can I get your advice as to what can I buy over the counter to help him urinate. Can You Help. my e mail is [email protected],net (###) ###-#### Please respond asap. thank you
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Oliver today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

If you are saying that Oliver is sitting in the litter box for hours and not passing urine for several days, I am very suspicious of a urinary obstruction as the cause. If his abdomen feels hard, that would support that as you are probably feeling a very distended bladder. If this is what is occurring, there is no over the counter treatment for this and this should be treated as an emergency. If his urethral obstruction is not relieved if he has one, he will get very sick and he could die.

I would urge you to seek emergency care for him right away. The sooner this is addressed the better chance for recovery.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hi Cathie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Oliver. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.