Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

I am so lost and need advice. My cat is six and 4 years she

Customer Question

Hello! I am so lost and need advice. My cat is six and for about 4 years she has been smacking while leaning her head. I thought she might be having a problem with a tooth on that side. I've taken her to our get countless times and he said nothing was wrong. After I noticed she had chewed on my leather boots I took her to a get that specialized in cats and he said she had bad tater build up. She is still smacking. I really don't think it's just a quiky trait...I think she is doing this for a reason. Seems like if it were a bad tooth it would have come out after this many years. The cat specialist charged us 1200.00 because he put her under; I can't afford to keep going on like this and want to get her the help she needs. We got her and another cat from the shelter when they were kittens...she's a girl and we got a boy ( different litter ). I had them both fixed. They got along great until about 2 years ago. I have to keep them separated because he wants to fight her. I'm sure this adds to stress but her smacking started before the other cat turned on her. She eats hard cat food but soft might be easier on her. What can I do about her smacking?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 12 months ago.

HI this is DRB and I agree that the smacking is not normal.The two things that I would be most concerned about would be a feline resorptive lesion in her mouth especially since she is tilting her head when she does this. The only way to find these is to have her teeth cleaned and xrayed and the resorptive lesion removed if necessary. The other possibility would be nausea due to some type of GI or internal disease but this should be ruled out very easily with bloodwork and history. I would recommend that she have a CBC, chem panel, T4 ,lytes and UA along with felv, FIV and heartworm testing. If all this is clear I would have her put under anesthesia and have her teeth cleaned and xrayed to look for problems. The most likely area of her problem is definitely her mouth. This needs to be ruled out first and I don't believe that it has. Tartar has to be removed to find a resporptive lesion and this can be very painful. I hope this helps but if you have additional questions or concerns please let me know as I check my computer each night. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I don't know what to say but looks like she's got a hard road ahead......al this is what I've been trying to prevent. I wish your practice was here ; obviously our vets here have not listened to what I've told them about her. If you could recommend a vet in Knoxville Tennessee I would be forever GREATFUL ( I live in Sevierville Tn. But Knoxville is the closest city ). Thank you again and again! Marsha. [email protected]
Expert:  Dr B replied 12 months ago.

I would be happy to look at some practices for you. But I don't know anyone there personally. Let me see what I can find. I have visited Sevierville many times....very nice place.......get back to you in a little bit...

Expert:  Dr B replied 12 months ago.

http://animaldentalservices.net/

This vet is board certified in dentistry and can rule in/out dental problems once and for all. And if it is not a dental problem can probably tell you what it is. Hope this helps you. Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 12 months ago.

I will be back online tomorrow night if you need further help. Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 12 months ago.
Hi Marsha,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr B