Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Owner, practitioner, Owner at Hilo Veterinary Clinic, Inc, Vetmed Hawaii
90005502

My 18 y/o cat had severe constipation inspite of gh fiber

Customer Question

My 18 y/o cat had severe constipation inspite of high fiber foods, psyllium, pumpkin, lots of water. Bowels were completely full on x-ray. Vet gave her an enema, which worked well. There were lots of crystals in her stool. I did see some on the sides of her her mouth lately, but thought it was due to her sniffing the litter box. Then, I witnessed her actually licking the litter and taking bites from it!!!.
She is very weak, not eating hardly anything. She seems to be drinking a lot of water.
She has renal insufficiency and dialated cardiomyopathy. She take benazapril daily.
She has lost a lot of weight, and is emaciated.
She is sleeping a lot, and is a bit unsteady and slow moving.
How can I prevent her from eating the litter?. Should I just remove the box and put some absorbant wee wee pads down on the floor for her?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 11 months ago.

Hello Mary,

My name is***** and I am here to help you.

Pica does occur in older cats that are ill. Anemia can be associated with the pica. With the kidney problems Sliloh could certainly have anemia.

Clay litter is especially bad and can certainly cause constipation. It is easy to see on an xray because of its high mineral content.

Do not remove her litter pan because she is used to using it and she knows where it is.

Stop using the litter that you have. Change to a pearl type of litter. Or rabbit pellets. I she eats the latter it won't constipate her.

If she refuses to use the new litter, put a towel in the litter box for her to use. Or the wee pads if she will use that.

But try the new litter first.

Poor Shiloh kitty has a lot of medical problems. Because of her age and her medical condition it is important to keep her as comfortable as possible. Has your vet suggested some warmed subcutaneous fluids to hydrate her? It isn't a long term solution but it might make her feel better and get her eating.

I hope that this has helped you.

You can ask me more questions if you wish.

If this satisfies you, please rate me.

Thank you and Happy Holidays!

Dr Marta

Good morning Mary,

I hope that you have had a chance to read my emails and that they answered your questions.

Dr Marta