Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My kitten started out fine this morning then she started

Customer Question

My kitten started out fine this morning then she started meowing really loudly and threw up. She now has a really type purr. The really sound isn't when she breaths and she has stopped throwing up. She won't eat or drink anything and I'm concerned.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 12 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

I too am concerned based on what you have written. The meow was probably related to the vomit, and if it was a very stressful/forceful vomit then this may cause her to be quiet for an hour or so afterward. Of course, our question is why she is vomiting in the first place. With younger cats our top concerns are ingestion of an unusual item that is trapped in the digestive tract, viral problem, toxin ingestion, inflammatory bowel disease, other infection and the list continues.

If she has returned to completely normal by the time you get this answer, then I recommend monitor her closely this weekend and make sure she is eating. IF she is still not eating, then keep her food available but no need to stress until it has been more than 12 hours of not eating.

Indications this is an emergency situation is if you notice this odd breathing continues and there is significant effort for her to move air in and out of her chest. She continues to vomit (we do not want her to get dehydrated) or develops profuse diarrhea, especially if bloody. Or, if she has any neurological issues (disorientation, seizures) or she is very lethargic, then this is an emergency situation and you need to take her in to be seen this weekend. This cannot wait until Monday.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.