Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I have 2 cats and I am giving them ronidazole. We are day 9

Customer Question

I have 2 cats and I am giving them ronidazole for trithrichomonas. We are day 9 and all good as far as side effects. My one cat vomited though the liquid ronidazole cause the taste is bad most likely. I do not give her more when that happened cause I can't
tell the volume she vomited and due to the high toxicity. Should I give her maybe one extra day at the end of the 14 day cycle just to offset the loss through vomit during the therapy? Would that be safe or should I just forget it.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

If this were my patient, I probably wouldn't bother giving her one more dose since I don't necessarily see the advantage of doing so. It's quite possible that she did absorb at least some of the liquid ronidazole on the day that she vomited although we obviously can't entirely know for sure.

In any event, treating for 13 days is just as likely to be effective as treating for 14.

I hope this helps. Deb