Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My cat 1/1/2 years old is acting scared and ding she was

Customer Question

My cat 1/1/2 years old is acting scared and hiding she was always loving and friendly I was feeding her a lot of human tuna in water after checking found out tuna not good for cats this was a week ago she still acting same way what can I do
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 11 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. I'm sorry to hear about your girl's situation. Is she having any vomiting? Is she breathing harder than normal? Is she having normal stools? Has anything really changed in the environment that could be stressing her out?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No vomiting stools normal nothing changed in eviroment breathing normal

Do you feel that she's eating and drinking normally? Could there be things that are spooking her in the environment such as decorations around the house, Christmas lights, or new sounds?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No not eating or drinking normally she was acting fine went to store when got home she acted scared she hides all the time under bed hard to even catch here when do she acts scared as soon as let her go she runs and hides

Is she eating and drinking some? Is she still using the liter box? Do you feel she's losing weight?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She is eating and drinking some not losing weight still using liter box we have to other cats they are fine

That is good that there is no obvious weight loss and that she's still eating and drinking some. As far as her behavior, is this due to something behavioral / environmental? Is it because of some physical issue with her body? There in is the unknown. It is always my recommendation in these cases to have veterinary visit done to have a physical exam performed and then based on that any blood work / testing that seems needed. This screening is looking for any possible physical issue at hand that may be tied to all this. IF there is an underlying issue, then it needs to be directly addressed / treated. Could this all be environmental / behavioral? That is the suspicion when physical exam findings and testing aren't revealing anything. In behavioral cases similar to this, using an environmental calming product like Feliway can help reduce stress. This product is a feline specific calming pheromone that can be used as a diffuser that is plugged into an outlet. For some, it can help to reduce stress and improve their situation. The only way to know if it will help is through a trial of using it. Here is a link on it.

www.feliway.com

If there are new cats introduced into the house, that may be something that is stressing her out.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I took her to vet seven days ago did blood test everything okay gave anti noticed four six days she is still same environment the same before we went to store she followed us all over gone four about two hrs went got home she acted this way she is not fixed yet she went into heat day after she started acting like this but still hid she is know out of heat still acting same way

That is good that you had her at the vet's office there seven days ago. If she has recently had a heat cycle and is acting like this, then the consideration arises as to a possible infection in her uterus called a pyometra. This sometimes is very obvious with purulent vaginal discharge. Other times it may not be as obvious as the cervix is closed and no drainage is present. Getting an abdominal ultrasound in these cases is usually the most definitive way to diagnose this.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?