Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Our cat is extremely skinny but eats 3-4 cans of cat food

Customer Question

our cat is extremely skinny but eats 3-4 cans of cat food per day
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. There are a couple diseases that we tend to worry about in geriatric cats that can increase appetite and create weight loss. Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid) is the more common one. Also, you may see it with the beginning stages of diabetes. With diabetes, you usually see some increase in drinking and urination as well. Other potential causes could include chronic kidney disease (appetite not usually increased, but it can be) and cancer (potentially gastrointestinal lymphoma). If there has been some chronic vomiting and/or diarrhea, then lymphoma would definitely be a concern, as would inflammatory bowel disease. I would start with having your vet run some routine blood work with a urinalysis and thyroid hormone first though. My suspicion is that you will find the cause there. There are medications to control hyperthyroidism and diabetes. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. If you feel like your questions have been answered, please rate my response. Hope this helps.