petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

Is pumpkin good? apparently a lot of owners in my club that

Customer Question

is pumpkin good for cats? apparently a lot of owners in my club that I attend feed them pumpkin.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

While there is nothing harmful in pumpkin and it is a good source of fiber that can help with preventing constipation. feeding too much of it may cause an unbalanced diet. If it is used in small amounts (tablespoon) to the food, it should not pose a problem.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my cats are 10 lbs each-two. how much should I put in their wet food? once a day?
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I would start with a teaspoon each, once a day. Monitor the stools and can increase with additional teaspoons (but not over a tablespoon) if the stools hard or small in size. If the stools are normal, I would stick to 1 teaspoon.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why would they be hard? I though that fiber would not make them constipated
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry. I meant if they are hard currently before using the pumpkin. You are right, fiber will not make them constipated, and you can increase to effect if one teaspoonful is not helping. If they are already normal, than I don't think you need to give more than one teaspoonful per day.

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.