Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My cat is about 6 years old. I received m when he was about

Customer Question

My cat is about 6 years old . I received him when he was about 6 weeks old. At times he will grab a persons led ,bite them and run. He is a house cat . He does this mostly to men and women with strong personalities . Also if you don't feed him when he wants he has been known to do the same . I have tried spraying water, scolding and swatting him. I have also taken a cloth dipped in lemon and placed it on his tongue ,if I cancat h him I'm about to give him away,though I love him, because my elderly mother can't be attacked too much more by him. Please help .
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Hi this is DRB and I would be happy to assist you with this. This is actually not uncommon. This is a type of aggression called play aggression but it can usually be handled fairly easily. The techniques you mentioned usually do not work and more is required to get a good response. The first think that needs to be done is to get this little guy on some drugs. He needs some Fluoxetine or Buspar. Probably one or the other will help significantly with this behavior. You will have to see your vet to get this medication. I always like to try the Fluoxetine first because it can be dosed once daily. IT takes about a month for it to start working but it generally works pretty well in most cats.

I would also suggest that each of you get a small tin can with some pennies in it to carry with you when you move around the house and keep it with you as much as you can. When it looks like he is going to come after you shake the heck out of the can and this will cause a startle response which can help thwart this behavior. This works best when done consistently.

Finally check out the Indoor Pet Initiative. This is a great website that gives you easy and free things to do for your cat that will help keep him occupied. https://indoorpet.osu.edu/ This is the website. Click on for pet owners and then cats and read about how to reduce stress in your indoor cat. This is a completely free service.

(Last, I suspect the above will work well but you can also have him declawed if he is not and have hi canine teeth just the tips filed down a little to prevent a puncture wound. )

If you do all of the above, I think you will be able to keep your kitty. Hope this helps. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much.

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr B