Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Cat was given sedative on Monday morning to draw blood. Cat

Customer Question

Hi- cat was given sedative on Monday morning to draw blood. Cat is eating and drinking and using bathroom but he is a bit groggy still. We are conferned
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Also- my cat is both walking around and sleeping with his head down... I am worried.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

How old is your cat?

Do you know what sedative was used (usuall will say on the receipt)?

Does he have any known kidney or other health issues?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Cat is 2 years old. I do not know what sedative was used. I am not aware of any kidney issues. We almost lost our cat 1.5 years ago after his neutering where he was also vaccinated.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

Hi again,

I have to say that I am quite concerned here.

Based on your history, I had expected this to be an older cat (since they sometimes are slower to process sedatives/drugs in general). Therefore, to hear that we have a young cat groggy after a few days post sedation is not normal and a concern here. Therefore, in this case, it'd be ideal to ring her vet about this. Hopefully, they will have her blood results back and those may help us determine why she has been so slow to metabolize and clear these drugs.

Otherwise, we'd want to consider having them put her on IV fluids to flush the drugs out faster and get her back to a normal mental state. And if the bloods are clear, they didn't use an overdose of medication, and there is no explanation for her delayed recovery; then we'd want to make sure a note is put into her file (and do request the drug name for your future reference) to make sure that everyone is aware that she is sensitive to this and that it should ideally be avoided in the future for her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you & happy holidays. :)