Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I have a question. What does a ccup in a cat sound like? And

Customer Question

I have a question. What does a hiccup in a cat sound like? And what usually causes it?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Cats do rarely get hiccups. It sounds like a people hiccup and they experience the same spasmodic continuous hiccups like in people. There are many possible causes ranging from a problem in the throat (such as a polyp/mass or foreign object) to a problem in the thorax. But we only worry about doing further testing and exploration of an issue if it continues for longer than 12-24 hours. In a cat who is otherwise well, but continues to hiccup, x-rays (radiographs) of the thorax and abdomen can be helpful. Then, depending on those findings, going forward with an oropharyngeal exam under anesthesia may be needed.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was maybe a couple of minutes at the most the hiccup lasted. And it happened a few minutes after he ate. I was thinking he ate too fast. He seems fine otherwise. I worry with him only because he had a seizures a couple of months ago so every little thing that seems abormal i question.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

This sounds very reasonable that perhaps he ate so fast a piece of food stimulated off a hiccup reflex (perhaps even got stuck in the back of his throat). As long as he is back to normal and no further issues, then you do not need to rush him in to be seen. Just monitor him closely for the next 48 hours.

Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.