Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Our cat ate 75mg of trilostane (dogs med) this morning. What

Customer Question

Our cat ate 75mg of trilostane (dogs med) this morning. What should we do? Vet did not answer phone at 0600.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did Cleo eat this?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

Hi again,

Since time is ticking and you were struggling to get ahold of Cleo's vet, I do want to leave my thoughts about Cleo. Now this is a large dose for a cat. In fact, its more than a double dose and therefore we want to be proactive to avoid any adverse issues for her here.

Therefore, if it has been less then 2 hours, it'd be ideal to induce vomiting now. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 0.5 ml per pound. (1 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkeybaster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get Cleo walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then itcan be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine(a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively if we cannot get her vomiting, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Overall, we need to act fast here for Cleo and this overdose. Therefore, I would strongly advise the above now. If you cannot get her vomiting this and her vet remains unreachable, then we'd want to see the local ER vet. You can find them via http://www.vetlocator.com/ or www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.If Thank you! : )