Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I noticed that my 7 month old cat has a bump on her lip

Customer Question

Hi, I noticed that my 7 month old cat has a bump on her lip today and we are very concerned. We think it may be feline acne, because she’s messing with the Christmas tree for the first time as of a week ago, I have a wart on my finger (could this be transferred to her? she’s a licker)
Also we have just recently 3 weeks ago lost a pet that was basically her only feline friend (our other cat doesn’t get along with her) so maybe it’s stress? Here is a photo of the bump: http://cl.ly/image/033c0P1T1W2E Looking forward to your expert advice!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Based on your photo, this doesn't look like feline acne nor can she catch warts from you. Instead, if it is rounded as the photo give the impression of, then its most suspicious of a small bacterial infection (micro abscess). And these are very common in cats that chew odd things causing micro abrasions to the skin that bacteria can then sneak into. Though I would just note that if it looks more like an ulcer in person, then there is a chance it may be an eosinophilic granuloma (essentially a lesion caused by an overzealous immune reaction).

In any case, if this looks like the wee lump it does in the photo, we usually do see these settle with time. You can try bathing it to help encourage it to settle. Often we will use salt water or dilute chlorohexidine to do so, since they are safe if licked. Do not be tempted to apply any topical antibiotic creams, since Twitch will just end up licking it off. And just to note, for stubborn ones we do sometimes need to have their local vet put them on a short course of antibiotics to just settle.

Overall, this doesn't look sinister for Twitch and we'd not be worried she caught anything from you. Therefore, we'd want to monitor thi sand use the above just now. Though if its not settling in a few days, then a check with her vet for antibiotics +/- steroids if it were more ulcerative looking would be indicated to nip this in the bud for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for your response, it put us at ease. The bump has looked about the same for 2 days straight now so not sure!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad that I could give you peace of mind. Hopefully, in that case, it will just settle with a bit of supportive care.

All the best,

Dr. B.

* Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.