Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My cat is lying in an out of the way spot in the apartment

Customer Question

my cat is lying in an out of the way spot in the apartment in bathroom with litter box and makes a very loud distressed sound when I go in. She dosn't seem to want to walk or move. She's 11/2 and has been healthy till now.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Based on what you report I am quite worried about Pearl. Unfortunately her symptoms are vague and could indicate any one of several possible causes but the howling at her age makes me concerned she is in pain. Where the pain is coming from is something I could not guess without a physical exam. It could be urinary (hence lying near the box) such as urinary tract infection or bladder/kidney stones. Or it could be orthopedic (spinal pain) or it could be heart related and throwing blood clots. Or she could have an internal issue causing weakness from something like anemia.

Since this has been join ton a while, I highly recommend have her examined today as soon as possible. She will likely need some lab testing which might include a complete blood count, chemistry profile and urine check.

I so much wish I had an easy at home solution for you to try but if she absolutely refuses to move and continues to cry (be distressed) these are emergency symptoms.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your advice has come too late, sadly. She died during the night. we are having an autopsy done to ascertain why.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 12 months ago.

Oh, I am so very sad to hear this. I am glad you are going to find out the cause. Please accept my deepest sympathy.