Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Months ago I noticed something hanging out of my cat's anus

Customer Question

Months ago I noticed something hanging out of my cat's anus which looked possibly like worms. It is still there and almost always present. I brought my cat to the vet but she said she didn't see anything and dewormed him. I am nervous that the treatment may not have been appropriate for all types of worms and she never asked for a stool sample. I never noticed any egg sacks in his stool or around his anus. His stool is consistently small and hard, which I know could indicate constipation, but he eats wet food twice a day and also occasionally drinks his water. He also vomits often after eating (this isn't a change from his baseline and I believe is from his eating too fast). He recently had some cat acne so I don't know if that could be related but that has cleared. He also was never a vocal cat but has started meowing all the time for attention whenever he is left alone. Is there anything I can try before taking another trip to the vet?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

First, this won't be related to his chin acne nor his vomiting (though you may want to divide his meals into a few portions with breaks if he is eating too fast). As well, the vocalizing isn't likely related either but could be a sign that something at home is leaving him unsettled. In any case, in regards ***** *****'s potential worm issue, I would note that since his vet has a weight for him you can request a wormer be dispensed before he visits. If there is any doubt that the brand used covered all worms, just let them know that you want one that covers against both roundworms and tapeworms.

Otherwise, another option here would be to submit a stool sample for analysis. This can be done without having him in and would allow you to appreciate if he does have worms. (And just to note, we'd not see eggs if he did since they are microscopic. Egg stacks would be a sign of flies having accessed the feces).

Finally, in regards ***** ***** hard stools, you are right to offer wet foo. Still, if he is having any issue with those stools, you can treat him with a cat hairball treatment to just aid him passing these easier.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.