Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Cat with diarrhea and vomiting and not much urine. drinking

Customer Question

cat with diarrhea and vomiting and not much urine. drinking some water. has had Pepcid and probiotics. Pepcid 3 doses and probiotics one dose. have spoken with vet. 11 hours without urine in box. not sure if he urinated elsewhere in room. doesn't feel well, but ate today (Monday) having hardly eaten Saturday and Sunday. had not mentioned urine issue to vet. should he go to emergency? recent blood work good; borderline kidney; 3 years old; huge cat 26 lbs; thyroid test okay; I was told to keep calories to 220 and try to keep it close.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Samson today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

How recent was the bloodwork?

When you say borderline kidney, I am assuming that his kidney values were on the higher end of normal. Is that correct?

If so, was a urine sample checked?

As far as presently, I suspect his lack of urine production may be due to his being dehydrated. A 3 year old cat should have tremendous urine concentrating ability and if he was not eating and drinking normally and was losing body fluids through the vomiting and diarrhea, he likely was conserving fluid by concentrating his urine. Can you check his gums and see if they feel wet or are they sticky or tacky to the touch?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.