Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

We have an older cat about 14 years, he has blood in s

Customer Question

We have an older cat about 14 years, he has blood in his feces. It is liquid and dark red. What could be the cause?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Does he have diarrhea?

2- Any vomiting?

3- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

5- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has diarrhea and vomiting. No others symptoms and has not eaten anything out of the ordinary.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Is he strictly indoors?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No pre existing conditions. A couple of days. He is stickling an indoor cat.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, when we see blood in the stool this is a sign of inflammation in the colon (large intestines). The vomiting and diarrhea are a consequence of the inflammation. This can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections or even part of a systemic disease (kidney, liver, etc.) to name a few causes. To determine the exact underlying cause he will need to be seen by family veterinarian for a hands on examination, blood work, urinalysis and +/-xrays as initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime, in any case of vomiting or diarrhea the first thing to do is give the gastrointestinal tract time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination in the morning.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter