Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

I just noticed that my cat is losing hair and has been

Customer Question

I just noticed that my cat is losing hair and has been licking his back end. He has rash and patch of fur missing. I took pictures of this and can send it.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 12 months ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this. Flea allergic dermatitis is the most common cause of the symptoms you are describing. Unfortunately with this condition only 1 flea is required to make cat go crazy and scratch themselves to death. I would suggest you get some frontline plus for cats and apply it on back of neck every 2 weeks for 3 months total then go to every 28 days thereafter and keep it up.You may also find that you will need to take him in and get a steroid injection to make him comfortable. You probably should think about treating your home environment as well.

Please let me know if you need additional assistance. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I haven't noticed any fleas but I will try your recommendation and see if it improves.
Expert:  Dr B replied 12 months ago.

You don't have to notice fleas, in fact they are usually not noticed by people until the infestation is massive. This really is the most common cause of what you are seeing. Other possibilities include food allergic dermatitis. But I would definitely rule out fleas first. Let me know if you need additional help. Sincerely, DRB