Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Annabella. My cat cannot keep any solid food down. She

Customer Question

Customer: Annabella. My cat cannot keep any solid food down. She drinks water though. She has lost a lot of weight and has vomitted her food. She seems depressed and has a sad look in her eyes. She is breathing so that i can see her sides expand when she does and has abnormal breathing.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Her cat siblings, all 3 of them, have died because of a heart defect and were showing these same exact signs. She has lived the longest but it all of a sudden happened. Exept i would really like her to live unlike her sibling cats :( We took her to the vet yesterday and they said to monitor her and not to feed her solid food until tomorrow'
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
hello?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
when are u answering it? please my cat is very sick
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 12 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Annabelle. You've described quite an ill cat if she's lost a profound amount of weight, is unable to retain food, and now is abdominal breathing. She may very well also suffer from congenital heart disease (how old is she, please?) but whatever the etiology of such symptoms, she needs to be attended to by a vet at your earliest convenience. A thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests as well as X-rays of her abdomen are likely to be recommended.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you so much. She is quite young, 2 years old.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
We will see if she can eat tomorrow. She has an appointment again in the morning.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Do you have any ideas of how the vet could help cure this?

Oh my, such a young cat to be so ill. I'm pleased to hear that she'll be attended to soon. I don't know what's going on and so I can't be very specific for you but if her weight loss is due to a congenital heart defect (cardiac cachexia) and she's breathing in that manner because she's in congestive heart failure I would expect her to be treated with a diuretic, a blood pressure reducer if she's hypertensive, and perhaps other medications such as an ACE inhibitor or beta blocker. All of these drugs are predicated upon what type of heart disease is present and X-rays and ultrasound of her chest (echocardiogram) may be necessary to clarify this. Prepare yourself for a considerable expense and don't think in terms of cure but, instead, control. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you. I am hoping she gets better. Tomorrow at the vet, we will show these recommendations of yours. I printed it out. I am 14 years old, and I am going to be a vet when I am older.

You're welcome. Good for you! By all means, feel free to share our conversation with her vet. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok. How would I do a follow up?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Would I just come back here to this conversation? Thanks again

You can return to our conversation at your convenience. Bookmark this page for ease of return.