Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

I recently bought a house and moved, after 4 years in

Customer Question

I recently bought a house and moved, after 4 years in previous apartment. I have 2 cats, both fixed, an 8 year old male, and a 4 y/o female. They had both been using the same littler box in the apartment, and I was not always 'on top' of cleaning it. Now, I bought 2 separate littler boxes, but my male cat has been pooping outside the box on the floor next to it sporadically. He still pees in the box, and I have been keeping the boxes cleaner than ever before. We have been in the house for about a month now. What should I do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your male kitty is pooping outside of the box. There are several reasons why this could be happening:

-arthritis- sometimes cats have difficult time positioning in the box to defecate and they will position so their rear end is hanging out. To help with this, I recommend a very large box, like an under the bed sweater box with no lid. This allows for more ease when positioning for defecation and can help cats with rear end arthritis.

-inflammatory bowel disease- this is trickier to diagnose, but I have seen inappropriate defecation as the first symptom.

-bladder infection- this is also less common for inappropriate defecation, but possible.

-other metabolic problem such as hyperthyroidism.

I would try offering a third much larger litter box as the first step. If that doesn't work, you may need to have him examined by your regular vet and consider blood work, urinalysis and x-rays.

Best regards, ***** ***** this answer helps you.

Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 12 months ago.

How are your kitties this evening? Did you try adding another litter box? Do you have any more questions for me?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for helping you today. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Amanda Mouradian-Dar