Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Lens is harding. She is a Norwegian Forest Cat. This year I

Customer Question

lens is harding. She is a Norwegian Forest Cat. This year I have had to fly back east
a couple of times and notice she is starting to meow more than ever. I have a roommate who has a male tabby. They get along fine. She was adopted. has a tendency to have allergies.
I am most concerned about the constant meowing even when she is in the same room with me. She is almost 10 years old. I know I have spoiled her but the meow is getting louder and sounds distressing. She is on an antibiotic and ear medication.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

This type of increased vocalization can be common as a cat ages. There are several possible causes for this. The first is she could have a true medical problem and the most common we find associated with this is hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid) which is treatable. Rarely I have found other issues such as chronic renal disease or a urinary tract infection, although those issues usually come with other symptoms we notice such as increased water intake and output.

Another possibility is loss of hearing or visual changes which can lead to this type of meowing. With an ear infection, hearing issues are very possible. As well, some cats do develop some level of senility/dementia which can lead to this. If you vet feels this is dementia then there is potential medication which might help. I always advise my clients to be sure not to reward her in the middle of the night by waking up and giving her attention or feeding her because then her routine will shift to have you always do this.

So, I would recommend touch base with your vet and if not done within the past 2-3 months, I would advocate a wellness screening profile that would include a CBC, chemistry profile, urine check and thyroid screening. This is our standard senior wellness panel.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.