Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Cat has injury to front leg was attacked last nite is

Customer Question

cat has injury to front leg was attacked last nite is drooling some now
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your cat. Do you believe that another cat was responsible for his injury? In other words, does he have a history of being in cat fights? If so, please careful examine his oral cavity for lacerations or bite marks which would be a likely cause of his drooling. It's best to administer a broad spectrum antibitiotic within 36 hours of his being bitten lest the bite wound abscess and then require surgical lancing and debridement. Do you have an antibiotic at home for which I might give a dose for him?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gave him 50mg clindamycin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Live in country, deer season coyotes

Thank you for the additional information. Clindamycin can be dosed at 5-15 mg/lb once daily in cats. It's best not to treat acute infections for more than 3-4 days if no clinical response is seen. Clindamycin can cause GI distress (inappetence, vomiting ans/or diarrhea) in cats. The maxium labeled treatment period is 14 days (Antirobe Aquadrops). Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He will see his vet tomorrow thank u for ur help have good day

Sounds good. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Had a bite shaved and cleaned bite put on antibiotics, much better thank you

Good to hear. Thank you for taking the time to let me know.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?