brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

My cat is a senior cat and has top canine teeth that hang

Customer Question

My cat is a senior cat and has top canine teeth that hang past his chin and is biting himself on his rump creating large open bleeding sores. I've been told its a mental insecure problem but I don't think my cat is mutalating himself becuz he's insecure. I know fleas were horrible this year and we battled them with all the options. I dont feel we completely got rid of them and therefore my thoughts are as so. If his canine teeth are unusually long and he tries to itch his back with the smaller front teeth with a fast biting motion the canine teeth are actually puncturing this back on doing so. Is that completely absurd to think on my part or is my cat self mutalating himself?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

No, you are absolutely right. When cats over groom, it is usually a medical issue - NOT a behavioral one!

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

The rump area is one of the most common places to see serious skin lesions secondary to fleas.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

He may have a flea allergy, which makes him extremely itchy after even just one flea bite.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

What product are you using for flea control right now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Front line, is it possible to have his teeth filed down?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would take him into a vet to do so because I think one bite from a flea will cause him to keep doing it
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Frontline is a good product. Since he is still uncomfortable, I would consider requesting a short course of a steroid from your regular vet. His teeth cannot be filed down, but it sounds like they are extruding (super eruption).

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

When that happens, if there is oral trauma, etc we may consider extracting the teeth entirely.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive read that u can have the teeth filed down and then filled to be blunt instead of extraction
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

You would need a veterinary dentist to do this. The reason is that the enamel is not that thick. Drilling down the tooth with expose the pulp, which would require capping the tooth. It would be easier and less expensive to extract them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok then I will look into both options. But for now I shouldnt let my cat go crazy itching because I have covered his whole rump area the best thing is to get a steroid injection so his sores can heal and to give him relief. Correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Sorry about that, I had to step away. Yes, the steroid injection or preferably an oral pill would be best to give him relief from itching.