Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My cat had kittens and all die except one the calico one and

Customer Question

My cat had kittens and all die except one the calico one and now she is starting to act like the other kittens did before they die but she's been doing good playing and everything but now she's bobbing her head not wanting to play and not focusing . making her body stiff and etc.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 12 months ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry for the delay in answering you. I just logged on this morning.

First, how old are your kittens? How old is the momma cat? Has the momma cat had all of her vaccines? How is the remaining kitten doing this morning?

Based on your history, the first thing that comes to mind is a viral infection such as herpes or panleukopenia. These are very dangerous to very young kittens and can wipe out an entire litter. Older cats, when they become infected, are stronger and can fight off the virus, which is why your momma cat is still doing okay. If it gives you comfort, there was nothing you could have done differently to save the other kittens.

After the last kitten is weaned (or if she passes, :-( ) you will need to thoroughly disinfect your house with dilute bleach (1/2 cup in a gallon of water). This will kill any virus in your house and protect any future cats you bring in.

Also, once the kittens are weaned, it will be time to have your momma cat spayed so that she doesn't have any more kittens. She will try to get pregnant again as soon as she is no longer producing milk.

Does this help? Do you have any other questions?

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

How are your kitties? Is the baby still alive? Do you have any questions for me?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for helping you today. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Amanda Mouradian-Dar