Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

I purchased a pedigreed kitten 10 days ago from a

Customer Question

I purchased a pedigreed kitten 10 days ago from a vet/breeder out of town. She had some sneezing from the time I purchased her and now hear more of what I call a "soft sneeze." After the trauma of travel and not drinking and eating right away, she has resumed an appetite, drinks water, plays, is active, sleeps in a blanket-covered crate, enjoys to be held and petted, and is very fast and curious. When is hearing her sneezes a point of concern? Should she be seen by a vet or will this just "go away" on its own? She was spayed and vaccinated and had a rabies shot all right before I purchased her at 12 weeks. Should I get in touch with the vet/breeder or see my local vet? The vet/breeder said she won't need to see a vet for a whole year but I'm concerned about the soft sneezes.
Submitted: 1 year ago via KittenCare.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. JEss. I am sorry to hear about your kitten. If she was only 12 weeks old when you got her, she really should have another round of vaccines. Most veterinarians vaccinate about every 3 weeks until between 16 and 20 weeks of age. So she may need to go to the vet anyway, to get another vaccine.

Does she have any discharge from her eyes or nose? Is she sneezing all day long or just every once in awhile? Is she breathing ok? Energy ok?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She had a little discharge (sleep ) on one eye 2 days ago and a less in another eye this morning. Her energy level is very high as she darts all over the kitten room. Her breathing sounds good. She purrs quite a bit. Other than sneezing, she seems to be fine. She is getting more comfortable in her surroundings and has become quite active. The vet said she is complete with her vaccines since Ragdolls don't tolerate all of the vaccines very well. I have it in the paper work. The sneezing is intermittent but throughout the day and daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In addition to being spayed, the Kitten received Nobivac 3 RCP twice and had her initial Rabies vaccine.
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Those are all good signs. We become very concerned with lethargy, decreased appetite, or any trouble breathing. If she develops these she needs to be seen immediately. If she develops green or yellow eye or nasal discharge, she may need a course of antibiotics. Most of the causes of upper respiratory infections are viral (like a human getting a cold) and will eventuallly go away with time, but sometimes they can get secondary bacterial infections and antibiotics can shorten the course of the disease. If you have a humidifier you can put it in the room with her overnight, or if you don't you can put her in the bathroom while you take a steamy shower for 10 minutes to provide some humidity which may help loosen any congestion.

Even if she is doing well other than the sneeze, it is a good idea for you to take her to your vet to get established as a patient, that way they can listen to her lungs and be sure they sound clear, and if she needs medication prescribe it, and then they have her on file if she has future problems you can call and they will be more willing to discuss her with you!

Here is an article on upper respiratory infections in cats:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=613

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't hear anything in her chest other than purring. She does a double sneeze. I just want to know when is it something of a concern vs. letting nature take its course like a cold in a human.
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

We become very concerned with lethargy, decreased appetite, or any trouble breathing. If she develops these she needs to be seen immediately. If she develops green or yellow eye or nasal discharge, she may need a course of antibiotics. So these are the conditions that definitely require veterinary care.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions I did not answer.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

If she just continues with the mild sneeze, it may pass on its own in a week or so (like a human cold). If you feel she sounds a little congested, you can also use saline nasal drops to aid in clearing the nostrils.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Just following up to see how your kitten is doing?

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay