Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My rabbit have to day that 't poop only pee she is losing

Customer Question

My rabbit have to day that don't poop only pee she is losing hair I don't know why she eats
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

When did she last pass stool?

Do you see her strain and try to go?

Has she been eating her hay and pellets as normal?

If you press on her belly, does it feel tense or is she tender?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her belly is tender is soft she is carrots and potatoes and others things and apple I see her in a coner just sitting
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why she is losing hair from her legs and belly
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now I have to say that I am very worried about Baby.

You didn't mention when Baby last passed stool, but you need to be aware that this is very serious for a rabbit. We can see a lapse in fecal production with gut blockages (if she has a hairball from this loss in hair --a real worry here-- or ate something non-edible that is stuck). As well, and most often we can see this as an early stage sign of the gut slowing down. And if it continues to do so, this could lead to gastric stasis (an emergency in rabbits).

Now you didn't note if she is eating hay/pellets, but instead only mentioned things that are not going to be as high in fiber. If that is because she isn't eating them, then this is a problem. Fiber is key for fecal production in rabbits and this could be the reason why we have slowing of the gut motility. And just to note, it can be a side effect of dental disease in rabbits (where they lean to eating softer foods since their mouths hurt or teeth are overgrown).

With all this in mind and her corner sitting (a sign we see in depressed rabbits that do not feel well), I have to strongly advise having her seen urgently by your local vet. They can palpate +/- xray to see if we have a hairball blockage that needs removing. Otherwise, they can start her on prokinetics to get her gut moving, pain relief, +/- antibiotics. As well, while examine her teeth to make sure that that is not an issue and dispense fiber rich supplements (which are pellet form or paste form) +/- fiber rich diets you can syringe feed (ie Oxbow, Supreme).

Overall, this is a serious situation for Baby. She is likely the reason for her hair loss and that could have then lead to a possible blockage if not a stasis. Therefore, in this case, we need to get her fiber intake up and consider that above proactive treatments to make sure we get this settled for her as quickly as possible before it can advance.

Just in case you wish to find a rabbit savvy vet near you, you can check @ http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )