Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My nine year old, haired, female indoor cat, now appears to

Customer Question

My nine year old, long haired, female indoor cat, now appears to be scratching all the time, doesn't appear to have fleas as she doesn't go out at all, miaows a lot, which she never did before and sleeps in lots of different places, like the bathroom window sill and doesn't use the litter tray any more- she uses the shower recess. She eats and drinks a lot and today she had a very loose stool in the shower recess. As I am a pensioner who does not drive and you can't take animals on the bus to go to a vet, is there anything I can do to help her?
Regards
Trish Franklin QLD ***@******.***
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, Trish. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Now I have to say that I am concerned about your lass.

Are you seeing any changes to her skin?

Has she been drinking and eating more just today or longer then that?

Has she been losing weight?

Has her urine been looking watery/dilute or very concentrated or odorous?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Skin wise she is eternally scratching, l can feel like bites on her skin- drinking and eating more just the one day. I weigh her every day - she's always been 5kg since I got her from AWL 4 years ago. Urine in the shower is a little smelly.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Trish,

Now I have to say that I am concerned about your lass since she sounds to be bombarded with a few different issues.

Now hopefully the increased appetite and thirst will be just a one day issue, since seeing both in an older cat (especially increased thirst) can be a sign of organ issues (ie kidney, liver,heart) or even metabolic disease (ie diabetes, thyroid issues). So, we do need to keep a close eye on that.

Those signs aside, we do also need to keep an eye on her loose stools. It is quite possible that if she is having diarrhea, this is why she has rejected the litter box. So, this too needs to be monitored. If was just one off, then a light diet (ie boiled chicken, white fish, meat baby food -as long as its garlic/onion free) could be used. As well, you could try her with a probiotic (ie Fortiflora) +/- Kaolin (ie Propectalin, Protexin Prokolin, Fast Balance, etc) which are available OTC at most vets, pet stores, and even online.

Now onto her itching, Even if she doesn't go outside, fleas can be a concern (especially as they can ride into our homes on us). And I would note that cats do not need to be covered in fleas to be itchy. Instead, all it takes is a bite from one and sensitive cats can develop flea allergy dermatitis as a reaction to the saliva. So, this would be a concern here, especially if you are feeling scabs here. Therefore,it'd be ideal to treat for these creepy crawlies just in case. And to tackle the irritation, you can try her with an antihistamine (though be warned that some severe cases will need steroids from their vet to settle). In regards ***** ***** the most common one we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl).A low dose (ie. 0.25mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, since it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Overall, it does sound like we may have a few issues afoot, so we do need to tread with care. Still, we can try to address the itching while watching the other signs with the above. Of course, any more increased thirst or runny stools and it'd be ideal to see if her local vet offers house visits (or can refer you to a local mobile vet) so that you can have her checked and make sure none of these other issues are causing her any bother.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Patti,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have given her a flea treatment and got a flea comb. She still is sitting in the bathroom but now goes in her new litter tray and seems much better. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome and thank you for the update,

I am glad to hear that she is starting to feel better. Hopefully, she will continue to do so and we can get her back to normal. :)

Take care,

Dr. B.

** Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )