Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

She been throwing up not eating now she is stiff laying on

Customer Question

She been throwing up not eating now she is stiff laying on her side she won't move she is breathing and her eyes are open what can I do I can't afford a emergency vet so I will take her to her normal vet in the am but I want to get her through the night
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her body is twitching some
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'm sorry to hear about your cat.

At this point, it sounds like she is going to die tonight if you don't take her to be seen. The fact that she is stiff, means that she does not have much energy (ATP, glucose) left in her body. The twitching is likely from low glucose and having hypoglycemic seizures. This will eventually lead to her going into a hypoglycemic coma and dying.

Most ER vets will do a euthanasia at no charge if the patient is suffering. That may be your most humane option here.

If you want to try to get her through the night, you need to get fluids in her- water every 2 hours. You can add some sugar to the water to help with the blood glucose.

I'm sorry for this situation. Let me know if you have any other question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I'm sure her blood sugar is low as she has been throwing up -- if I can get her through the night I will take her to the vet first thing in the morning -- how much water would u suggest I get in her every two hours -- I'm using a straw to drop it into her mouth because she can't lift her head
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

I would give her 1 ounce (30 mL) every 2 hours if you can.