Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Our cat has loose poop with some blood what does this mean

Customer Question

Our cat has loose poop with some blood what does this mean ???
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 12 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm sorry to hear that Davie has some loose stool - I'll do my best to help. There will be a delay of 5-10 minutes while I type up some thoughts for you. You can reply at any time with more questions or information.

Thanks!

~Dr. Sara

Thanks for your patience !

Keep in mind that I can't practically or legally diagnose Davie without doing an in-person physical examination, but I can give you some info on the more common causes of what you're seeing.

In a young cat with diarrhea, the very first thing I'm considering is intestinal parasites. Most cats are born with intestinal parasites or are exposed to them through mom's milk or stools very early on after being born. Intestinal parasites can cause significant diarrhea in young cats. Sometimes it's a chronic issue, sometimes it's episodic - meaning that it comes and goes. Any young cat with diarrhea is a prime candidate for a broad spectrum deworming in my practice. The over the counter deworming medications don't treat all the same worms as the prescription medications that we use, so they can't cover all the bases. It's a good idea to take a fecal sample in to the vet so that they can look for parasites - we look for the eggs under the microscope. Keep in mind, though, that even if the fecal test is negative, your vet is likely to still give a broad spectrum deworming treatment to cover all the bases.

The other potential causes for diarrhea in cats would be dietary issues - either that they ate something out of the ordinary or they have a dietary sensitivity (think like lactose intolerance or "mexican food doesn't agree with me" in people). Some cats can even have true inflammatory bowel disease, which is an abnormal amount of inflammation in the GI tract with no known cause. I wouldn't consider IBD though until he had been through standard anti-diarrhea treatment and a deworming prescribed by the vet.

Cats can also get infectious diseases that can cause diarrhea - think like the stomach flu in people - viral or bacterial infections that cause diarrhea. Usually these are self limiting and pass on their own.

If Davie is still eating, drinking, and acting normally, then I would call his vet in the morning to see if they need to see him or if you could possibly just drop off a stool sample for analysis. If he's been to his vet recently, they may also be willing to prescribe him some medication without having you in for an exam. Sometimes these diarrhea things resolve on their own too - even if his stool gets back to normal I'd still suggest having that stool sample run at the vet.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)