Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I had my arms full & tripped over my cat Kuba. He's now

Customer Question

I had my arms full & tripped over my cat Kuba. He's now limping. His front left leg is the hurt one. He will put weight on the leg, but gingerly. I'm checking for swelling but haven't seen or felt it yet. When he lies down he tucks his hurt paw under. He is still walking around & eating (ate his dinner voraciously). If only I had been paying more attention! I just feel like the scum of the earth.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 1 year ago.

Hello Rebecca,

My name is***** and I am here to help you.

We all have accidents and it is not your fault.

How long ago did this happen? Is the leg swollen?

Do you think that it is the leg or paw? If you feel the whole leg gently and work your way down the leg, does he cry, growl, or pull away when you touch any particular spot?

I'm sorry that you are not on-line, but we can proceed.

Unfortunately there is no over the counter anti-inflammatory/pain killer that we can use because these are POISONOUS to cats.

Because Kuba is putting some weight on the leg, it is very unlikely that it is broken unless there is just a crack with no displacement.

I would recommend that you see how it is in the morning. If he is better, it is probably just some bruising.

If it is worse, swollen, or he won't put any weight on it, I would recommend that you see your veterinarian. Kuba would probably get an xray.

In the meantime, I'm sure that Kuba forgives you as long as you feed him yummy dinners.

I hope that this has helped you. Please rate this service.

Thank you,

Dr Marta

PS: I'm not sure if Kuba is neutered and I don't know if he is 15 mos or 15 yrs old. But if he is intact and you are using him for breeding, don't use him until he can jump up and down furniture without any discomfort.

PPS: If you want to reach me I am on Pacific Standard Time in Hawaii. If you are on the East Coast I am 5 hours earlier than you.

I will email you in the morning to see how Kuba is doing.

Good morning Rebecca,

How is Kuba this morning? I hope that his little leg is better.

Let me know.

Dr Marta