Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My cat has constant sores around her eyes. I have taken her

Customer Question

My cat has constant sores around her eyes. I have taken her to the vet and after a course of cortisone injections and antib iotics it clears up and then it comes back again. The vet suggested it could be an allergy to maize in the tinned food? It could also be anxiety due to ferral cats that come on our property.
Have you had experience of this and how can I try and cure it naturally?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your kitty. It is possible that your kitty is having an adverse/allergy reaction to some ingredient in her food. You can try putting her on what is called a novel protein diet- you will have to cook for her initially- eventually you may be able to switch her back to a limited ingredient canned food. You can find recipes for diets at a website called balanceit.com, which is run by veterinary nutritionists. Here is a link:https://secure.balanceit.com/tools/ez2/result.php to diets for allergy issues- be sure to use a cat specific recipe. It can take up to 2 months of being on this diet to see a difference, so don't give up after just a week or two if you aren't seeing an improvement. During this time, your cat can have nothing else to eat- not a bite of the dog's food or another cats food or a treat- only this limited ingredient diet! Or you will be wasting your time and money! Here are some articles on food allergies for you as well: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=652

If after several months on the diet you don't see a difference, it is possible your cat has atopy (environmental allergies) and you may need allergy testing done.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions today. If you do not, please take a moment to rate our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping answer your question. Thank you and good luck!

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
Hi Colleen,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay