Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

I cant get my cat to use the litter and shit what can i do

Customer Question

Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

Hi there!

Few questions for you:

1. How old is Buddy?
2. Does he urinate in his box?
3. Do you have other pets?
4. How many litter boxes do you have?
5. How often are they cleaned?
6. How long have you had him?

Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is 8 weeks old
Ge does not use his box
I have no other pets
I have one litter box
I had hom for 5 days and he didnt shit once yet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry, I am not able to provide live phone call service at this time; would you like to still continue in chat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

Has Buddy pooped at all during the last 5 days, just outside the box, or not at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didnt find anything anywhere
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

Has he been eating ok?
Have you seen him try to poop yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He constantly has food and while i am home i havent seen him try to poop
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry, to clarify... You said he constantly has food, but do you know that he's actually eating it ok?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont know what to do
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

Got it, thank you.
Give me a few minutes to type out an answer...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

It's quite unlikely that he'd go for 5 days without pooping, trying to or acting sick. This does not rule out a problem but I think he must be pooping somewhere in the house. In order to determine if he's actually defecating and what his stool looks like, I would put him in one room that has relatively few places to hide, provide him with his litter box, food, water, toys and something small to hide in, such as a cat carrier or a cardboard box. Give him about 24 hours and see if he poops and what it looks like. Most kittens poop at least twice daily so in a 24 hour period, you should see something in his box. If the stool looks normal, great, nothing to worry about. If it looks abnormal (loose, soft, bloody, mucousy, etc) or if there is no stool at all, after 24 hours, I would take him to your vet for evaluation to make sure he has no serious problems...

Hope this helps; please let men now if you have any other questions!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont have a room like that in my house
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is way too playful to look sick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you if there is another soecialist that can call me?
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

You can use any room, as long as it has a door. The point is that you should isolate him in a small area with his litter box so that you can find the poop if he does it outside his box. The small area will give you a chance to see if he's pooping and what it looks like.

I agree, he sounds quite healthy, which is why I think he's pooping somewhere else in the house. I would start with the 24 hour "isolation" period to see what his stool looks like and whether or not he'll poop into his box. After that, I would add another box, make sure that both are easily accessible and that you clean them both frequently.

Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, I can't call, but I can opt out so that you could relist the question and see if another expert can help...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok i am sorry but i prefer the phone so can u opt out?