Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have 18 yr old kitty. Severe muscle wasting. Labs within

Customer Question

I have 18 yr old kitty. Severe muscle wasting. Labs within past year showed only early stage renal disease. She is noe always hungry. Drinking frequently. But recently the urine is very sticky in litter box. Still plays, runs, but of course, not like years gone by
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Based on Breezi's current signs, we do have a few concerns. While is that we can see increased thirst and muscle wasting as renal disease progresses, her insatiable appetite along with these signs raise serious concerns of hyperthyroidism. This is a hormonal condition that essentially puts the body on "fast forward." It can make the metabolism higher such that affected elderly cats lose weight despite eating large amounts of food. As time goes on, it can cause them to waste away. As well, the condition can even make their hearts beat so fast that they develop secondary heart disease. Just to note, other conditions that could also appear this way though slightly less likely would be liver disease or a internal tumor.

With this all in mind, I appreciate that Breezi finds the vet stressful. Still, it'd be ideal to consider having her vet come out for a house visit or contacting the local mobile vet in your area to come to her. That way you can get her checked +/- blood sampled to test her thyroid levels without the stress of travel or the scary smells/dogs/noise of the practice. Depending on their findings, thyroid issues can be managed with tablets or even diet (ie Hill's Y/D). Otherwise, if those other concerns are found, then her vet can tailor treatment to keep her comfortable with that. And it would be ideal to do so at this point and not let this linger, since she will become more fragile and weaker the longer her situation is not addressed.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. If you have any lingering questions or concerns,please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button withthe issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)