Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My cat got into a chocolate chip cookie and is bow throwing

Customer Question

My cat got into a chocolate chip cookie and is bow throwing up...what should I do? I don't have money to take her to a vet
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you. When did she eat the cookie, how long ago? And has she thrown upthe cookie?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A few hours ago. Not to sure. My boyfriend is home with her and told me she's thrown up a few times. Its mostly liquid and he's afraid to feed her cause she's throwing up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What should I do?
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Well, this is tough because it is difficult to say if she is throwing up because of the cookie or something else. Typically with a cookie (chocolate ingestion) the theobromine in chocolate does not get broken down and the cats can develop seizures. If the cookie is the cause then it is good that she is throwing up hopefully this means she has cleared some of it out of her system.

But if she is vomiting due to another cause if she continues you will have to take he rin as she can get dehydrated and her electrolytes can get way out of whack and this could kill her. She also may have developed gastritis from dietary indiscretion but your boyfriend should check the house really well to make sure she did not eat a toy or other foreign body as that can be very serious.

Do you have additional questions or information?

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Regardless of cause of vomiting if she vomits more than three times, you should have her seen because this could indicate a more serious cause......

also if she did eat the cookie and did not vomit that up then she could become very sick and die from that.....

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Not trying to scare you, just give you correct information......nothing that can be done at home to treat chocolate ingestion other than inducing vomiting which she is already doing. She really should get checked out by a vet in person......can I answer additional questions?

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of further help in any way....Sincerely, ***** ***** will be online for another little bit....

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I have him feed her tonight or wait till morning?
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

I would not feed her tonight. Just keep fresh water out for her. Then try feeding her a small amount in the am. Hopefully she will be ok. If the vomiting continues you really need to take her in. Can I answer any other questions for you?

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

I check my computer each night so if you need further help I will know. I will be online about 15 minutes more tonight.

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No that is it thank you for your help..hopefully she will be ok
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

I hope so too! Have a good night and good luck. Best DRB