Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

What could cause a bleeding, possibly, festering wound? Its

Customer Question

What could cause a bleeding, possibly, festering wound? Its around the mouth area. On what would be the cheek on a human. He is 11 years old and I just noticed the bleeding this morning, although he was hiding a bit yesterday. He is allowing me to wipe the blood away from the area and I was able to clean it with hydrogen peroxide this morning. There have been some issues with elimination as well
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

The main worry I have when there is a lesion on the mouth, is a uremic ulcer. These occur secondary to kidney disease or kidney failure. The other big rule out, would be a tooth infection or dental disease. They can both cause bleeding ulcers in the mouth and around the mouth. Tooth root abscesses can rupture out through the skin.

I would have a good oral exam done and also check some bloodwork to look at the kidney enzymes. If the kidney enzymes are normal- great. If high, then we need to figure out if it's a kidney infection (curable) vs kidney failure (manageable but not curable). If there is dental disease, then anesthesia and removing any infected teeth is curative. If both of those are normal, then it could just be a skin infection that is treated with antibiotics and topical therapy.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thank you for the information. I have attached a couple of photos. Please let me know if they help narrow the possible causes.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

I would put dental disease up there as the number one rule out. If that is normal, then I would think some type of skin infection. It's not quite in the area I would expect with kidney disease.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?