Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian
Experience:  General veterinarian with a special interest in internal medicine and emphasis on individualized care.
24928096

My mother has an 8 year old otherwise healthy cat who she

Customer Question

My mother has an 8 year old otherwise healthy cat who she loves like a child which is why I'm asking here instead of talking first to her (I don't want to worry her unnecessarily as she just put another cat to sleep). Anyway I noticed today that one of the cats hip bone is much larger than the other- large enough that it is noticable visible and well as being something you can feel. The bump is hard like his other hip, just larger. He also seems weak in that leg- he sort of slides his foot along a bit rather than pick it up. This is a new thing- I see this cat several times a week and I just noticed it. My mother seems not to notice it however as I asked her if he hurt himself recently (he hadn't). Is this something I definitly need to have addressed now or can I adopt a "wait and see" attitude for now? He doesn't seem in pain and is eating/drinking/using the litter box like normal.
Thanks!
Kate
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

I'm sorry Tucker is having a problem with his leg. I do recommend that he sees his vet. There are a few possibilities for what you have noticed but all of them require attention of some sort. First, Tucker may have some discomfort in his leg from injury, arthritis, blood clot, etc. which has caused him to be unable to use his leg and therefore the muscles at the hip (and elsewhere on his leg) have atrophied which would may his hip bone more prominent. Alternatively, the lump you feel may be a mass (benign or malignant) that is causing discomfort so he cannot move his leg normally. Infection (abscess) is possible as well but I would suspect he would have other symptoms such as fever and lethargy if he had this problem.

When he goes to the vet, after an exam, the vet may recommend x-rays of the area and may want to take a sample of cells from the site with a small needle if he thinks it is a growth. Based on the findings he can advise you further. I suspect since Tucker won't lift his foot normally that he is in some discomfort and may benefit from pain medication. As you may know, cats are masters at disguising illness so by the time it becomes obvious to us that there is a problem, then it definitely requires medical attention.

I hope that the information I provided has beenhelpful. Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if you have more questions orwould like additional information. It ismy goal to provide you with the most complete information possible prior to youleaving a feedback rating. If youreceived all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Sincerely,

Dr. Karing