Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Accidentally gave 5mL instead of 1mL fluoxetine. this means

Customer Question

accidentally gave 5mL instead of 1mL fluoxetine. this means my almost 13 pound cat got 20mg of fluoxetine. that is a starting dose for adult humans.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian.

Friend, if he took 20mg of Fluoxetine this comes out to a dosage of 3.4mg/kg. At this dose he can develops symptoms of toxicity like: Disorientation, vocalization, vomiting, tremors, lethargy, etc. Unfortunately we are very limited with what you can do at home. I would strongly recommend having him checked by ER veterinarian immediately and they can induce vomiting in an attempt to remove the medication from the stomach. This needs to be done within 1 hour of ingestion, max 2 hours.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!