Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My female cat is the backlegs peraties.my doktor seid,she

Customer Question

my female cat is the backlegs peraties.my doktor seid,she has on her back a blood clut.whoat can i do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am so sorry to hear about your kitty. It sounds like your vet thinks she has what we call a "saddle thrombus", which is a blood clot in the aorta causing blood to be unable to flow to the hind legs. This clot is usually a result of heart disease. I have attached a link to an article on this condition below:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3351

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

This disease is an unfortunate one to have, because even if he makes it through this episode of the blood clot, it is quite possible another will happen in the future, as the underlying cause of the blood clot (heart disease) is still present. If you do elect to treat him, and his treatment is successful, it can take several days in the hospital and then 2 to 3 weeks of nursing care at home until he regains use of his legs.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Initial treatment would include hospitalization with IV fluids and injectable medication for pain and to decrease blood clotting. If your kitty improves, they would switch to oral versions of these medications. X-rays of the chest would be recommended to evaluate whether heart failure is present as well as heart disease, and bloodwork to evaluate if the kidneys have been affected, which both will give you more information on chances of recovery.