Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

MY CAT LOVES OCEAN FISH IN SAUCE BY FRISKIES. IS IT SAFE TO

Customer Question

MY CAT LOVES OCEAN FISH IN SAUCE BY FRISKIES. IS IT SAFE TO FEED IT TO HER EVERY DAY?
SHE HAS BEEN ADDICTED MOST OF HER SEVEN YEARS TO EUKANUBA DRY CATFOOD, WHICH IS NO LONGER MANUFACTURED AND IS HARDER TO HARDER TÔ FIND ON THE WEB AND WILL EVENTUALLY BECOME ALTOGETHER UNAVAILABLE.
OTHER THAN PEOPLE'S TUNA WHICH IS I BELIEVE REALLY UNSAFE, FRISKIES OCEAN FISH IS THE FIRST FOOD THAT I HAVE FOUND TO HER TASTE. IS CANNED FOOD SUCH AS I HAVE MENTIONED AS GOOD FOR CATS AS THE DRY FOOD IN BAGS?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, you are correct that tunafish is not safe to feed cats for the long term. It is not balanced with the vitamins/minerals they need and can lead to diet induce deficiencies. That said, the Friskies products are designed and balanced for feeding cats for the long term. Even though they are fish flavored, when you read the ingredient list that isn't the only thing in the product. In fact, the company often uses other meat sources and supplements those trace vitamin and minerals we need them to be getting in their food. And if we had any doubt, you could feed this alongside a cat specific vitamin to just make sure she is getting as balanced a diet as possible.

Finally, I would also say that canned food is as good as dry food for cats. While dry is better for their teeth, canned food has its positive too. Specifically, it has more water in it to keep them hydrated. And that is really important as cats get older, since they never drink enough and are very prone to kidney disease. So, increasing her fluid intake with a wet food diet is not a bad thing at all for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )